Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Cravings of a Lunatic

Peach Salsa Over Grilled Chicken Breast, Closeup
Peach Salsa


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I actually stumbled, entirely by accident, onto Kim's blog. And it was the name, "Cravings of a Lunatic", that compelled me to stay awhile and read up on this blogger who freely calls herself "Lunie"! I think I first saw Kim's blog name while reading comments on another blog - although I can't tell you now which blog. But it was Kim's vivacious personality (and gorgeous photos) that kept me coming back.

I love Kim's blogging style because it's her talking, her sharing - and it's so obvious by everything she writes. There's nothing fussy about her recipes, nothing pretentious about her writing. And it doesn't matter if it's a must-make recipe or a save-for-later - you still enjoy the read every time. Because it's not just about the food or photos or giveaways. It's about Lunie and her life.

So please give a big welcome to Kim - Welcome, Kim! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest

Kim Beaulieu is the lady behind Cravings of a Lunatic, a blog where easy recipes are shared with humour and love. She lives by the motto of love what you do and do what you love. For her that's cooking and sharing with people who are as passionate about food as she is!

Featured Recipe: Peach Salsa


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I'm actually quite shy in person. And soft spoken. That usually surprises folks when they meet me. I think people assume I'm loud and outgoing because of the blog. I am once I get to know people. But the crazy doesn't usually come out until I'm fully comfortable with someone.
     
  2. I tell people "Lunie don't hug", then I go to conferences and hug everyone in sight. It's weird as I'm not a hugger in my day to day life. Occasionally if I feel silly I'll fist bump you or hip check you. Totally depends on my mood.
     
  3. I hate pickles. Like full on don't even like to be in the same room with them kind of hate. They're just weird!
     
  4. People think because I'm a food blogger that my family eat like kings. That couldn't be further from the truth. They're always paranoid to eat things in case I haven't photographed them yet. I have a holding area, which we'll call the microwave (ingenius I know) and I stuff things in there when I'm crazed then forget about them. We order out a lot for someone who cooks as much as I do. I actually feel bad for my family. Apparently we need a new system so they can eat once in a while.
     
  5. I have a weird obsession with shows like "The Real Housewives" and "Keeping up with the Kardashians". I have no idea why, or what this says about me. I was so careful what my kids were exposed to on TV while they grew up. Now they're grown and mom wants trash TV. It's weird and so against what my own life is like. But I find them hilarious and view them like sitcoms. It's hard to explain. And I realize everyone is shaking their heads and lost all respect for me right now. I'd apologize but I'm in a hurry to catch the most recent episode...



How to Make: Peach Salsa
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Fresh Peaches
You will need 2 cups of diced fresh peaches which equates to 3 to 5 peaches, depending on their size. I recommend buying extra peaches just in case one or more of them isn't as tasty.

Removing Pit from Fresh Peach
Remove the center pits from the peaches. If you're lucky, you will be able to easily remove the pit after cutting the peach in half. If you're unlucky (as I frequently am), you will need to cut the peach away from the pit in sections in order to avoid mashing the peach while extracting the pit...

2 Cups Diced Fresh Peaches
Dice the peaches. I left the peach pieces a little larger than the other ingredients.

Two Limes with Juicer
You will need at least 2 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice. I had a couple older limes in my refrigerator, so that's what I used. I needed 2 limes. Squeeze the juice over the diced peaches.

Large Shallot
You will need 1/4 cup of finely diced shallot. I only needed about 1/2 of a large shallot.

Finely Diced Shallot
I used my chopper gadget to finely dice the shallot. Just make sure the pieces are small.

Red Bell Pepper with Core Removed
You will also need 1/4 cup of diced red bell pepper. I found I needed about 1/2 of a bell pepper.

Finely Diced Red Bell Pepper
Again, make sure the diced pieces of pepper are small.

Diced Bell Pepper, Shallot, Vanilla Sugar and Salt Added to Peaches
Add the pepper and shallot to the peaches then sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar if you don't have vanilla sugar) and a pinch of vanilla salt (I didn't have vanilla salt so I used kosher salt).

Peach Salsa, Combined
Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly, then chill the salsa in the refrigerator for about an hour while you prepare your choice of meat. I chose to serve this salsa with grilled chicken breast.

Handful of Fresh Cilantro
To garnish the salsa, chop a small amount of fresh cilantro and sprinkle the cilantro over the salsa after plating with the meat.

Peach Salsa Over Grilled Chicken Breast, Closeup
Be careful not to add too much cilantro to the plate or it will overpower everything.


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • For this salsa, everything depends on the quality of your peaches. I'm not exaggerating and if you can't find delicious peaches locally, don't make this salsa. At least not with peaches. I'm sure this would also be tasty with quality nectarines or even possibly mango. But with so few ingredients, the star of this salsa must be delicious. (And if you're not sure, take a bite of your peach and find out!)
     
  • Make sure you do not mix the chopped cilantro into the salsa. I mixed a little cilantro into part of the salsa right before spooning it over the chicken and it quickly overpowered the other flavors. Even the chicken. So use it sparingly as a garnish. If you're not a cilantro fan (I'm not), leave it out or maybe use a little chopped mint (which is what I plan to try next time).
     
  • This salsa is best the day you make it after an hour chilling in the fridge. The second day, the salsa starts to break down and the bite of the shallot really starts to become aggressive. So make this the day you plan to use it and while the salsa chills, you'll have plenty of time to sear some steaks or grill some chicken. This salsa would be especially tasty over Caribbean-style marinated meats.
     
  • The next time I make this salsa, I plan to add a little more lime juice (3 Tablespoons instead of 2) and some chopped strawberries. I love the combination of peaches and strawberries, but I really have to give credit for this idea to Boyfriend Javelin. Because he was the one who murmured something about "try adding strawberries".

13 comments:

  1. I had such a great time working with Kim and it was such a privilege to feature her here as my tutor. And I agree - I was shocked that Kim can be shy! So not what I expect when I read her blog... I'm so glad you enjoyed, Helene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)July 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

    Yayyy!!! I love Kim. This is so great, I loved getting to know even more about my fave Lunie (and I don't care if she hugs or not if/when I meet her I WILL hug her!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Kayle! We should all hug her because she is awesome! I'm so happy you enjoyed reading and it was such a pleasure having Kim as my tutor...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun learning more about Kim! Great post you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kellie@foodtoglowJuly 3, 2013 at 4:02 AM

    Well, I feel like I have got to know both you and Kim in the last week. Lovely profile and peachy keen salsa - love your suggestion of more lime (as well as strawberries) as I am a lime freak. Those Trix Krispies look absolutely lunatic too! Colourful and fun, like Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay this is amazing. Not the part about me, but the dish. I love it over chicken and it just looks so good I think I need to make some of this stuff today. I'm totally stealing your idea about the strawberries too. That would be sheer perfection. Love the step by step pics too. I wish I was organized enough to do that.


    Thanks so much for featuring me. It's been so much fun getting to know each other better. I'm truly blessed to have made such an amazing foodie friend. Thanks for the kind words and awesome post. It's been an absolute pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peach salsa is the best! But you're right - only fully ripe peaches will do. But anything Kim offers us will do - she's terrific, and has such fun recipes. One of these days I'm convinced she'll offer us a turtle peach salsa. Probably with Meyer lemon added. ;-) Terrific tutor - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you enjoyed, MJ! Kim was a wonderful tutor and so fun to work with...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, the Trix Krispies are so Kim ;) Now that Kim got me started, I'm looking forward to experimenting with salsas. Anything this simple yet tasty is perfect for mixing things up. I'm so glad you had a chance to get to know Kim even better, Kellie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the kind words, Kim! I'm so pleased you enjoyed and definitely steal the strawberries! I have you to credit for getting me started on fruit salsas and now I can't wait to try some other combinations. Maybe peach and tomatillo. Or something. ;) Thanks again for being such a great tutor, Kim...

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol I'd love to see a Meyer lemon or turtle salsa! That would be so fun and I'm sure Kim could find a way to make it work - and make it beautiful! So pleased you enjoyed, John...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The peach salsa looks so very fresh. According to the mood in which I am right now, it really makes me cry. I know what I was missing the last few weeks or even months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true, this salsa really is the perfect summertime topping! I'm so glad you enjoyed, Chris - Kim was a wonderful tutor!

    ReplyDelete